How to keep your skin safe from the cold
After spending a day in the cold, your skin becomes red and itchy, fine lines appear more intensely and your hands become rough. Winter is a real enemy of beauty since experts say it can make us look for up to ten years older in just a few hours!Cold breezes and low temperatures urge our body to overheat in order to compensate. At the same time, low humidity levels, cold weather and constant change of temperatures break up elastic fibers and destroy the hydrolipic skin shield. Dryness created indoors, due to heating, makes the skin dehydrated, resulting in signs of dryness, peeling, and redness. A simple moisturizer may not be able to save the day! So, it is necessary to have a more meticulous and proper treatment, with special moisturizing formulations and substances such as glycerin and hyaluronic acid that attract and retain the necessary moisture to keep the skin soft and supple.
- No matter how nice it feels, avoid very hot showers because they remove all the natural lipids of the skin and dry it out significantly. The hotter the water, the more moisture we lose.
- Replace rough cleansing products with tender moisturizing formulas and choose a bath oil and body creams that instantly hydrate.
- Take care of your hands with moisturizing and soothing creams that protect against daily exposure to cold, creating a protective “membrane” around the skin.
- Use lip balm daily, as it works as a remedy for the sensitive lip skin that is permanently exposed to cold weather.
- Regardless of your skin type, beauty masks can be very beneficial during winter, especially some that contain hyaluronic acid that will lock in moisture and keep the skin hydrated.
- Keep your bathroom door closed to lock in steam. After taking a bath, gently pat dry with a towel and put on moisturizing cream while your skin is still damp.
- Did you know? Choosing silk accessories such as scarves will protect your skin against the cold far better than wool. It works exactly the same, plus it is much more skin-friendly.
La Mer, The Moisturizing Soft Cream
Μolton Brown, Dewy Lily of the Valley & Star Anise Hand Cream
Clinique, Moisture Surge Intense Skin Fortifying Hydrator
Korres, 3D Black Pine Active Oil