My take on the tradition of ruling out
foods and habits from your diet…
What the Bible says
Fasting, from the Christian perspective, is a person’s voluntary abstinence from food for spiritual purposes. The purpose of fasting is to deny your own desires and pleasure in order for your heart and mind to focus more intensely on God. In other words, years back, people used to pig out on the symposiums and stuff themselves with meat and wine. If they did this 365 days a year, humanity wouldn’t exist now. Therefore religion and God were used as the alibi to a detox.
What the majority of society says
Most people who fast do it because that is what they have been taught to do 40 days before Easter. They fast on meat but they will indulge in French fries because it’s a vegetable! Or on a box of cookies because they are made with oil and not butter. Oh! And wine. After all, it is made from grapes. Wtf?? Fasting is a spiritual process to get to know yourself better dude, not a “pick-a-boo” against yourself game.
What I say
No social tradition that has lasted for centuries is faulty. I don’t restrict myself when it comes to food. Even though I don’t follow a vegan/vegetarian diet, I occasionally drink alcohol or indulge in desserts; I follow a very healthy food plan and lifestyle. Therefore, fasting in the traditional way is not for me. What I want is to detox and nourish myself more and train myself on discipline and abstinence. I pick the 40 days of fasting, as it is easier to do it when a big part of the society I live in has a common mindset. All in all, I fast and I mean it.
Don’t get me wrong but when I came up with this thought process I found it uber cool and wise! I mean, adjusting a tradition to your needs while knowing it will be 100% successful, without feeling torturing, is a win-win thing!
AWESOME FASTING DIET PLAN
I SAY NO TO:
– Red meat
– Ice cream & desserts
– Dairy: butter, cheese, yogurt
– Processed grains e.g. white pasta, white rice, white bread (in general, white grains are processed and much less nutritious than unprocessed – whole grains. Even though most are higher in calorific content they are much more nourishing)
I HIGHLY REDUCE MY INTAKE OF:
I SAY A BIG HELLO TO:
– Legumes: beans, lentils, chickpeas
– Vegetables like: mushrooms, broccoli
– Whole Grains: quinoa, buckwheat, brown rice, freekeh
– Whole wheat pasta & bread
– Detox juices (DAILY)
– Green juice EVERY morning
AWESOME FASTING LIFESTYLE PLAN
I SAY NO TO:
– Late night snacking (even if its berries – come on guys we’re talking about abstinence!)
– Shopaholic crises
– People with bad vibes
– Working all day, every day
– Overwhelming behavior
– Pointless partying
– Needless “stayin’ up till late” routine
I SAY YES TO:
– Morning routine (EVERY morning): hot water with lemon, followed by a green juice
– Daily meditation
– Break for breathing (like every 3 hours of focused work)
– Daily diary keeping
– More sleep
– More vitamins & minerals
– Solo walk in nature, at least once a week
– Mindfulness. Focus on every action and what I am doing right now.
– Less mobile/laptop when @ home
It doesn’t have to be for 40 days. It’s too much, I know. 30 days? 20? 10? At least the Holy week?? For extra guidance or help oh how to make a “fasting plan” tailor-made for your needs contact me ASAP!